One dumbbell to find them, one dumbbell to bring them all and in the darkness bind them…
I know the original quote was about a ring, but ring of power, dumbbell. It’s kind of the same thing.
Dumbells are awesome. They are simple, effective, and can get you strong. If you’re pressed for time or looking for something different to do this session is for you. It’s a simple training session that I have been using. I have done a few variations of it when I’m short on time or just feel like something different. It’s simple and gets the job done. It is about working hard, moving some weight around and using your whole body as a unit.
You need one Dumbbell, a weight that you can dumbbell row for 6 - 8 good reps works well. Before you start the session it is a good idea to warm up properIy. This is the warm up I use before the session.
Perform 3 rounds of the warm up
I have done 3 versions of this session. Short when I’m tired or short on time. The standard session is the base session. It’s a reasonable amount of work and quite challenging. The serious is just the hardest variation we have done thus far.
1. DB Rows 1 sets of 8 reps each side
2. DB Clean and press 1 set of 5 reps each side
3. DB Clean and press (ladder) 2 sets of 3 (1 clean + 1 press, 1 clean + 2 press, 1 clean + 3 press)
4. One arm lunges 2 sets of 6 each arm
5. Rows 1 set of max
1. DB Rows 2 sets of 6 reps each side
2. DB Clean and Press 1 set of 5 reps each side
3. DB Clean (ladder) and Press 1 set of 3 reps each side (1 clean + 1 press, 2 cleans + 1 press, 3 cleans + 1 press)
4. DB Clean and press (ladder) 2 sets of 3 (1 clean + 1 press, 1 clean + 2 press, 1 clean + 3 press)
5. One arm lunges 2 sets of 6-8 each arm
6. DB Rows 1 set of max
1a. DB Rows 5 reps
1b. Clean and Press 3 reps
2. Clean (ladder) and Press 3 sets of 3 reps each side
3a. Clean and Press (ladder) 3 reps
3b. OA Lunge 6 reps
Notes: rest 45- 90 seconds between sets
You can rest 15- 30 seconds between exercises in the superset (serious) if you need to.
Remember to brace you abs and keep your back straight when lifting.
Give this session a try and share your thoughts in the comments.